Sunday, November 13, 2011

My Strong-Willed Son

I haven't had to write any posts about Logan's naughty little temper tantrums in a LONG while...because we haven't really had one until today. So let me begin by telling you that this little tantrum must have made up for all of the weeks we haven't had any. Seriously. The icing on the cake is that it began at church...

It started out kind of cute...Pastor was asking general questions (the kind you ponder quietly in your head) and Logan took it amongst himself to answer rather loudly. Heck, I was really okay with that until all of his answers revolved around needing to eat breakfast. The child had breakfast...Dunkin Donut's at that. At one point Pastor was making a statement about guilt. Logan shouted "I never feel guilty." Fitting, huh! He got up a couple of times during the sermon and I just knew we were going to be in for a real treat.

Fast forward to Sunday School...Logan opened his snack without asking, he ran around the room, was using some not-so-nice words (but not curse words), wouldn't sit for music, and just had an attitude in general. I called Neil in to try and curve the behavior, but it was too late. As Neil began to talk to him he started in. Neil carried him out into the hallway where he then proceeded to scream a blood curdling scream. We decided after 10 mins of this craziness (I can't think of a better word, but that doesn't even describe it) that we would take him home. We had to carry him all the way through our church kicking, screaming, hitting, you name it. Complete and utter embarrassment! :(

Our ride home was a LONG one (the 15 min car ride seemed more like an hour). He sounded like a broken record: "Daddy, I want to go back! I want Grandma! I will be good, I will! I don't wanna take a nap. I'm sorry! You don't love me!" One statement was even kind of sad and comical all at once "You wish I was in heaven!" If you had heard him screaming you would honestly think that we beat him....don't worry, we don't. However, his consequence was going straight to his room and taking a nap. He obviously needed his nap.

The funny thing though is that he went to bed at a normal hour last night and that he slept fairly well. He was up at 6, however, that is why we decided to go to early service. After his nap...he was an angel. He has been great ever since. He helped his daddy and I cook dinner, picked up his toys, and has been super cuddly. So either he really needed that nap OR he does feel guilt (even though he told Pastor he doesn't...lol).

I do remember that I prayed for patience...and I think that may have backfired! Haha! I will have to pray for something other than patience so that I don't have to practice it as often! :D

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to stop by and say Hi! I am following you from MBC! I know how trying parenting a special needs child can be. I am the proud Aunt of my Autistic 8 yr old Nephew Ethan. He comes and stays with me during the summer and the rest of the year I go and visit. I will keep you in my prayers and Remember Parenting isn't about Perfection!! You are doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete