Friday, May 20, 2011

A good day...

I am hoping, praying, and keeping my fingers CROSSED that I am not speaking too soon...however, today has been a GREAT day! Logan is not near as fussy, not near as hyper, and no where near as EMOTIONAL as he has been the last week+.

When Logan tried the Adderall, he had an allergic reaction... So then his dr recommended that we try the Vyvanse and we really had a day from ____. He didn't sleep for 2 days, he cried, had unbelievable tantrums, lashed out by hitting, kicking, etc. So what did I do? I didn't give it back to him and made yet another appointment with the dr. I could not believe what I witnessed. My heart was breaking knowing that I couldn't even really understand how he must be feeling.

When meeting with the dr (who is also a family friend of ours) he was a little upset that we took him off of the Vyvanse so quickly...which I understand...although I don't think he quite understood the EXTREME differences in emotion, behavior, and sleep patterns! We came to a mutual agreement that we will give him a half dose when we resume. I jokingly said to the dr that I would gladly let him have Logan for the day so that he could witness the extreme difference. Ha! The mommy in me thinks his body needs a BREAK (and honestly, not to sound full of myself, I have yet to be off when it comes to my mommy instinct)! I am not giving him any ADHD medicine for a few days so that his body has time to completely rid itself of any of the drugs. I want to see just exactly where we our with behavior, emotions, etc. free of meds. Dr. T did agree that this would be okay.

We are very lucky that his pediatrician has always been super supportive, and he ALWAYS lets it be known that I know Logan best. Just that little thing makes a HUGE difference when dealing with everything that Logan has going on ie: adhd, developmental delays, low muscle tone, speech delays, etc.

Anyway - We are on day number 2 of being medication free and it isn't so bad! We still have some sleep issues, but I will take that over the lashing out, tantrums, extreme emotions, etc ANY day! :) My wishful thinking is that the behavior he displays while being free of the medication will not be so bad and we can stay medication-free. I understand the probability of that happening with Logan's history is not likely, but it never hurts to dream! ;)

Well, I hope you have a fabulous weekend. We are going to try! :D

Autumn

No comments:

Post a Comment