Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Another possibility?!

Today we met with Logan's pediatrician regarding the symptoms that the PT, OT, and we as a family are noticing with Logan... This includes: hamstings getting tighter, balance being off, having accidents, muscle weakness, pain in his arms, tremors, etc. After doing some research this week (because last week I was told that it could be muscular dystrophy) I was wondering if this could be related to his medications. I started looking up the side effects and sure enough muscle weakness, fatigue, and tremor were all listed as "uncommon side effects."

I put a call into his PT to see what she thought I should do...because she is the one that has physically observed ALL of these symptoms, besides Neil and I. She suggested that I make him an appointment and she would send her observations his way.

Today we had our appointment and Dr. T said that he doesn't think that it is a side effect of his medication, or for sure Muscular Dystrophy, but that it could possibly be Tethered Spinal Cord Syndrome. If you click on the link you can read more about it. Dr. T is setting up an MRI and a consult with a neurologist for Logan here in the near future.

This sounds bad... but my thought is that IF it has to be anything...I could probably handle this. A positive about this type of disorder is that this can be surgically corrected...unlike Muscular Dystrophy (in which he would struggle with it for the rest of his life -- possibly shortening his life span).

There are a couple of things that it doesn't explain (where the MD seems more "fitting")...that would be the drooling we still have and the muscle weakness in the arms.

I guess I will just wait and see what our neurology consult brings... These up's and down's are crazy!

Until next time...

Autumn!

No comments:

Post a Comment