Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 4 of Intuniv

I did do my "Google" search on Intuniv to see what other moms had to say about the drug. I am beyond happy that this is a NON-STIMULANT. Almost all of the feedback that I read was positive. I also read the drug companies website. My only concern is that when this medication was originally developed, it was used to lower blood pressure. It somehow evolved into treating ADHD and has had a huge success rate.

Things that I am noticing with Logan since starting the medication (which by the way takes at LEAST 3 weeks to see the full effects):

1.) He is not usually tired and doesn't normally nap, however, since starting the medication he has taken a nap every single day and gone to bed super well. "Somnolence" is one of the side effects of this medicine and it says on their website that it could take a few weeks for this to subside. Most of the blogs, etc that I have read from other moms say that they had similar experiences. I am hoping this goes away sooner than later.

2.) He has definitely been more emotional. He actually cries. Who knows if this is from the med or not, but Logan just doesn't cry. I know I have said this before, but it is so true. He will scream, yell, growl, and throw a heck of a tantrum....but he will not cry. Over the last couple of days there have been a couple of incidents that have made him actually cry: He bumped his nose, his sister refused to play what he wanted, and he backed up and hit his head by the stairs on the corner of the wall...all of which I know makes a "normal" child cry, but not Logan. It sounds a little crazy for me to want to hear him cry, but it lets me know that he is human and that he has emotion! This leads to #3...

3.) He hasn't been throwing as many tantrums as he normally does. Don't get me wrong, we have had a few, but they have definitely decreased.

Like I said, I am not sure if this is just coincidental or it is from the medication, but we have had a good few days.

Last night we went to my mother-in-laws for dinner and she made some kind of beef pasta and it was really good...the only downside was that by the time we got home and got Logan in his pj's he had hives all over. I called and got a list of the ingredients and the only thing that I know he hasn't ever had was red wine, which is what was used to make the sauce. I think that must have been the culprit! Nothing like a 4 1/2 year old being allergic to red wine...but it was used to cook with so there was no alcohol! :) We did give him benadryl and it took a while to work, but the hives eventually went away.

I went ahead and made an appointment with the allergist for next Thursday. He couldn't get in this week because he cannot have an antihistimine in his system for 3 days prior to going... So we are waiting until next week when Daddy can go with us. It takes a minimum of 2 hours. The nice thing is that they will test for airborn and food allergies. Wouldn't it be crazy if all of this behavior was triggered by a food allergy??? (Just something I have had in the back of my mind for a little while).

Well, I think that's it for now! We are relaxing and having a "comfy" kind of day with no appointments and no obligations!

Have a great day!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment